Late night house fire under investigation - Action News 5 - Memphis, Tennessee

Late night house fire under investigation

Posted: Updated:
  • News on WMCTV.comNewsMore>>

  • Man escapes Dyer County jail

    Man escapes Dyer County jail

    Thursday, July 24 2014 4:44 PM EDT2014-07-24 20:44:58 GMT
    (WMC) - Dyer County officials are looking for a jail escapee. Edward Copeland could be in the area of East Court Street in Dyersburg, Tenn., where deputies are currently searching. Copeland was in theMore >>
    Dyer County officials are looking for a jail escapee.More >>
  • Lakeland woman fights off attacker in home invasion

    Lakeland woman fights off attacker in home invasion

    Thursday, July 24 2014 4:17 PM EDT2014-07-24 20:17:34 GMT
    A Lakeland woman fought off a stranger who attacked her with a knife in her own home, and then she hid with her 8-year-old cousin in a closet until Sheriff's deputies arrived. Shelby County Sheriff'sMore >>
    A Lakeland woman fought off a stranger who attacked her with a knife in her own home. She then she hid with her 8-year-old cousin in a closet until sheriff's deputies arrived.
    More >>
  • Mid-South teacher raises money for classroom tools

    Mid-South teacher raises money for classroom tools

    Thursday, July 24 2014 3:31 PM EDT2014-07-24 19:31:19 GMT
    (WMC) – When Erin Johnson started writing a proposal in May for chrome books and TI Inspire calculators, she had no idea where the money would come from. "I was thinking nobody's gonna give cause totalMore >>
    When Erin Johnson started writing a proposal in May for Chromebooks and TI-Nspire calculators, she had no idea where the money would come from. Her friends and family began "investing in her students." Now, she hopes others will follow suit.
    More >>
MEMPHIS, TN -

(WMC-TV) – Memphis firefighters were called to a home on fire in the 1000 block of Lewis Street, near Vollintine Avenue, around 11 Monday night.

When Action News 5 crews arrived to the area, smoke could be seen coming through the roof of the home. Investigators say there were no utilities in the home.

A man who identified himself as the homeowner was there when the fire started. During the course of the investigation, fire officials said they couldn't find him.

Fire officials determined that a gas can in the living room of the home was accidentally knocked over.  Fumes from the gas ignited with a portable grill.  The fire spread to the rest of the home.

The home had smoke, fire and water damage. Red Cross is providing assistance to one adult.

Officials said that the home did not have a working smoke detector.

Get the latest from Action News 5 anytime: iPhone | iPad | Android | SMS Alerts | Email Alerts | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Copyright 2014 WMC-TV. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow