Motel 6 bed bugs bite child - Action News 5 - Memphis, Tennessee

Motel 6 bed bugs bite child

Posted: Updated:
A young girl was bitten by bed bugs in a Mid-South motel, and her mother wants answers. A young girl was bitten by bed bugs in a Mid-South motel, and her mother wants answers.
"He said that we could've brought it in, you know, but then I turned around and saw that they threw the mattresses in the dumpster and it wasn't just our mattress but many mattresses," said Howard. "He said that we could've brought it in, you know, but then I turned around and saw that they threw the mattresses in the dumpster and it wasn't just our mattress but many mattresses," said Howard.
The child's mother wants answers. The child's mother wants answers.
  • News on WMCTV.comNewsMore>>

  • Police: Neighbor shot at neighbor over tall grass dispute

    Police: Neighbor shot at neighbor over tall grass dispute

    Wednesday, July 23 2014 6:31 PM EDT2014-07-23 22:31:42 GMT
    Security camera and warning signs surround Darrel Brock's home on Tulip Road. Now, Brock's neighbors say he's using more than security cameras to keep his property safe. Neighbors along Tulip RoadMore >>
    A man is behind bars after police say he fired a shot at his neighbor. The reason for the shot? A dispute over tall grass.
    More >>
  • Wall collapses in Southaven, MFD shuts down road in storm

    Wall collapses in Southaven, MFD shuts down road in storm

    Wednesday, July 23 2014 6:27 PM EDT2014-07-23 22:27:59 GMT
    (WMC) - Memphis Fire Department shut down Holmes Road between Airways Boulevard and Tchulahoma Road after a tree fell across the street.  The tree could have possibly landed on a car.  Reports are comingMore >>
    A building's wall collapsed in Southaven on Access Drive near Stateline Road and Airways Boulevard amid weather Wednesday.

    Memphis Fire Department shut down Holmes Road between Airways Boulevard and Tchulahoma Road after a tree fell across the street.
    More >>
  • Contractor rescued from trench

    Contractor rescued from trench

    Wednesday, July 23 2014 6:19 PM EDT2014-07-23 22:19:13 GMT
    (WMC) - Memphis Fire Department is on the scene where a contractor is reportedly trapped. MFD is sending rescue equipment to 1239 Whitten Road, north of Shelby Farms Park. Details about the contractorMore >>
    Memphis Fire Department rescued a contractor who became trapped in a trench Tuesday morning.
    More >>
LAKELAND, TN -

(WMC) - A young girl was bitten by bed bugs in a Mid-South motel, and her mother wants answers.

They were staying at the Motel 6 on Austin Peay Highway.

Shelby County Health officials say there have been a total of 15 bed bug complaints this year at local motels and hotels.

This motel guest learned the hard way while waiting to move into her new home.

"When we first checked in everything seemed fine," said mother Telika Howard.

Howard says she and her daughter had only spent one night as guests on April 10.

"The next morning my daughter was itching all over, and so we moved the sheets, and I saw a couple of bugs," said Howard.

When her daughter returned from school the next day Howard says she was covered in a bad red rash.

"Her face, her legs, her arms, so I took her to Methodist North hospital, and they confirmed that it was bed bug bites all over her body," she said.

Paperwork from Methodist North Hospital confirmed bed bugs as the cause. A Motel 6 clerk switched their room, but Howard says the manager wasn't nice at all.

"He said that we could've brought it in, you know, but then I turned around and saw that they threw the mattresses in the dumpster and it wasn't just our mattress but many mattresses," said Howard.

According to the Shelby County Health Department they've had two bed bug complaints about the motel.

An environmentalist's inspection didn't find much bed bug activity on an April 14 complaint. However, the environmentalist noticed that all of the rooms in the April 17 complaint were listed ineligible to be rented out. They were also in their first round of pesticide treatment with a private exterminator.

All mattresses have been removed, according to health officials. Workers even removed couches, linens, and other furnishings.

"That upsets me cause you're paying your money to stay there. They're giving a service, and then they don't want to do anything about it," said Howard.

According to environmental sanitation policy the facility can not re-lease those rooms until the pesticide service is completed, and that usually takes two to three separate applications.

The rooms must then be re-inspected by environmental sanitation.

Get the latest from WMC Action News 5 anytime: iPhone | iPad | Android | SMS Alerts | Email Alerts | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Copyright 2014 WMC Action News 5. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow