Monica Lewinsky breaks silence on Clinton scandal in 'Vanity Fair'
Monica Lewinsky has gone public in an interview with 'Vanity Fair' about her affair with then President Bill Clinton. (Source: CNN)
(RNN) - Monica Lewinsky is breaking her 10-year silence with a Vanity Fair article about the sex scandal with former President Bill Clinton.
In a preview of the article, scheduled for release online to subscribers May 8 and on newsstands May 13, Lewinsky said she had been a virtual recluse for the past decade because of the way she was branded by the media after the scandal broke in 1998.
"It's time to burn the beret and bury the blue dress," Lewinsky writes.
Lewinsky said the public shame she suffered resurfaced when she heard the story of late Rutgers freshman Tyler Clementi. The 18-year-old was subject to internet harassment when his roommate streamed webcam video of him kissing another man, and Clementi committed suicide in 2010. Clementi's roommate, Dharun Ravi, was convicted of bias harassment and sentenced to 30 days in jail two years later.
The case brought back dark personal memories for Lewinsky, and it had her mother worried she would commit suicide. Lewinsky admitted that she considered killing herself.
"Perhaps by sharing my story, I reasoned, I might be able to help others in their darkest moments of humiliation," Lewinsky said in the Vanity Fair article. "The question became: How do I find and give a purpose to my past?"
In the story, Lewinsky further claims the sex scandal cost her jobs "because of what potential employers so tactfully referred to as my 'history.'"
She also denied that her relationship with Clinton was anything but consensual or that he and Hillary Clinton paid her to remain silent.
Copyright 2014 Raycom News Network. All rights reserved.