Woman escapes early morning house fire

Woman escapes early morning house fire

MEMPHIS, TN (WMC) - A woman was forced into the cold early Wednesday morning after her North Memphis home caught fire.

Firefighters were called to the scene in the 1300 block of Maplewood Street near North Hollywood Street around 2:30 a.m.

Fire investigators say the woman smelled smoke in her attic before getting out of the house.

It took crews 20 minutes to put the fire out. No one was hurt.The total estimated damage is around $35,000.

Investigators say faulty electrical wiring sparked, causing the fire. The house did not have a working smoke detector.

Remember Memphis residents can get a free smoke detector by filling out this form, or by calling the Fire Museum of Memphis at (901) 636-5650.

Copyright 2015 WMC Action News 5. All rights reserved.