House fires ignite across Memphis as residents attempt to stay w - WMC Action News 5 - Memphis, Tennessee

House fires ignite across Memphis as residents attempt to stay warm

Three adults and three children were forced out of a burning home on Malone Avenue on Thursday. (Photo Source; WMC Action News 5) Three adults and three children were forced out of a burning home on Malone Avenue on Thursday. (Photo Source; WMC Action News 5)
Another blaze destroyed a home near U of M after fireplace logs caused carpet to catch fire. (Photo Source: WMC Action News 5) Another blaze destroyed a home near U of M after fireplace logs caused carpet to catch fire. (Photo Source: WMC Action News 5)
MEMPHIS, TN (WMC) -

A woman and her dog escaped a raging fire on Douglass Avenue just minutes before the home was destroyed Thursday night.

Investigators say the woman built a fire in her fireplace. The logs caught a carpet on fire and the flames spread quickly through the home. The frigid temperatures froze the water fire crews were using as they tried to extinguish the blaze.

Friends of the woman jumped into action, trying to do what they could to help.

"I felt pretty helpless," said Hunter Dunlap. "I tried to comfort her as much as I could, but there was a lot of chaos going on with trying to alert everyone else around and trying to get them out of their homes and such."

Neighbors say they helped a church renovate the home last summer and now, it's reduced to charred rubble.

The fire on Douglass Avenue was not the only fire that happened last night.

Three adults and three children were forced out of a burning home on Malone Avenue. The family is now getting help from the Red Cross. Investigators say the fire was caused by a space heater; no one was injured.

On Queensbury Circle, overloaded electrical sockets may be to blame for a Thursday night house fire that prompted multiple fire trucks to respond.

Remember, if you're using a space heater, be sure to use them safely. Keep them away from window coverings and anything else that is flammable.

Copyright 2015 WMC Action News 5. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly