Woman hurt while escaping house fire - WMC Action News 5 - Memphis, Tennessee

Woman hurt while escaping house fire

(Photo Source: WMC Action News 5) (Photo Source: WMC Action News 5)
(Photo Source: WMC Action News 5) (Photo Source: WMC Action News 5)
(Photo Source: WMC Action News 5) (Photo Source: WMC Action News 5)
MEMPHIS, TN (WMC) -

A house belonging to a Memphis family for generations is now burned and waterlogged after a morning house fire that left the homeowner in the hospital.

The house is located on Fairley Road, about one block away from Fairley High School.

The 61-year-old woman was injured while crawling out of a window to escape the fire. She is recovering at Regional Medical Center.

"Thank God my grandmother made it out," said Shay Jones as she watched firefighters surround her childhood home. "The house that everybody grew up in is ... it's gone now."

Jones says the house holds a lot of memories for everyone.

Her grandmother, Tammy Brown, is recovering from cuts, bruises and smoke inhalation. 

"She was bleeding," neighbor Kenny Anderson said. "So, I opened the door and put some towels around her arms until the fire station got here."

Firefighters say it appears a space heater caught some flammable materials on fire around 9:00 a.m., but they're thankful Brown's home had a working smoke detector.

"She did have a working smoke detector," Lt. Wayne Cook said. "At this point, we're not sure if it was the smoke detector or fire that woke her up."

Brown's granddaughter is just happy the fire only took away some of her memories. She's glad her grandmother made it out alive.

Copyright 2015 WMC Action News 5. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly