MEMPHIS, TN (WMC) - Firefighters pulled three people from a house fire in Frayser on Thursday morning.
The calls came in from the 1900 block of Corning Avenue just before 5:30 a.m.
Family members say 76-year-old Julia Galliday lived there with her husband and son. All three suffered burns, and were taken to Regional Medical Center in critical condition.
"The flames were shooting out to the house, the backyard was on fire," said a neighbor.
"We just want some answers. You know what I'm saying, we just want some answers," said the couple's granddaughter, Alicia Willis.
Willis stopped by Thursday morning as the rest of her family waited anxiously at the hospital.
"I was just like, 'Were they breathing when you go them out?' And they said they didn't know," she said.
The home is destroyed, but the family was able to salvage a few photo albums and a Bible.
A few hours after the fire, Memphis firefighters canvassed the neighborhood, installing smoke detectors and checking batteries in existing smoke detectors.
In the meantime, Willis is hoping and praying that her grandparents and uncle pull through.
"She's [her grandmother] a strong woman, she cooks three meals a day. And I know she's a fighter and she won't give up without a fight," said Willis.
According to Memphis Fire Department, there was not a working smoke detector in the home. However, the owner who rents the property to the family says there was a working smoke detector.
Investigators say a space heater in the back den started the fire.