Man dies from smoke inhalation after lightning causes house fire - WMC Action News 5 - Memphis, Tennessee

Man dies from smoke inhalation after lightning causes house fire

Source: Family Source: Family
FAYETTE COUNTY, TN (WMC) -

A Fayette County man who uses a wheelchair died from smoke inhalation after a house fire.

The fire happened Sunday Evening at 20 Day Road in Fayette County.

Fire Officials say preliminary reports show the fire started after lightning struck the house.

Carl Greggs, 55, was inside the home when the fire started. Greggs made it out of the home safely, but later died from smoke inhalation after he was taken to the hospital.

"It was a shock to everybody," says Greggs' brother Kenneth Owens. Owens says Greggs was a cheerful person.

Family members say insurance agents have informed them the house is a total loss.

"Taking it one day at a time, try to hurry up and rebuild if we can," says Owens

With an outpouring of community support, they say they are making it day-by-day.

Copyright 2015 WMC Action News 5. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly