West Memphis standoff ends peacefully after nearly 3 hours - WMC Action News 5 - Memphis, Tennessee

West Memphis standoff ends peacefully after nearly 3 hours

(Source: WMC Action News 5) (Source: WMC Action News 5)

West Memphis Police were involved in a standoff for nearly three hours. The standoff has since ended peacefully 

Police said sheriff’s officials were serving an eviction notice at a home in the 2900 block of East Jackson Avenue when someone came to the door with a gun.

The man ran back inside the home, and authorities arrived at the scene, where they were involved in a lengthy standoff.

The man was inside the home alone.

Cell phone video of the standoff taken by a resident who lived nearby shows officers positioned all around the apartment building where Johnson lived. 

"Henry Johnson, open the back door," officers said.

Police, sheriff's deputies, medical crews, and crisis intervention were all brought to the home to help for a peaceful ending.

Officers were seen in the video outside the door to the building and several stun grenades can be heard as they are thrown through windows. 

"I ain't coming out, just come on in," Johnson yells back at police.

The suspect's daughter said the man inside the home was Henry Johnson. Before the resolution, Patricia Johnson pleaded for her father to end the standoff peacefully.

"They just told me I needed to get over here as soon as possible because he was in a stand off," Johnson said. "If he's in there, I just want him to give himself up and come out and talk to them."

A witness at the scene said the suspect told police, "If you want to shoot me, then go ahead and shoot me."

After about three hours, Johnson finally walked out with police.

West Memphis police said they have had dealings with Johnson in the past. He was charged with aggravated assault and a felon in possession of a handgun. Police said he will be evaluated first for possible mental issues. 

Copyright 2016 WMC Action News 5. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly