MEMPHIS, TN (WMC) - Two people were able to escape a house fire Tuesday morning, but one of their dogs was not as lucky.
Firefighters rushed to the scene on North Watkins Street near Henry Avenue where a house was engulfed in flames.
Steve Jones and his mother were able to escape from the home.
"I took a steel rod and busted the back door open," Jones, said.
However, Jones added that one of their dogs died in the fire.
"She was in my room," Jones said. "She sleeps with me. That's my little girl. That's my baby girl...had her ever since she was a little bitty baby. But she's gone."
A fire chief said they were able to rescue and resuscitate the other family dog.
Fire investigators are on the scene to determine how the fire sparked, but they believe the cause may have been faulty wiring.