Questions continue to circulate around our next tropical system - WMC Action News 5 - Memphis, Tennessee

Questions continue to circulate around our next tropical system

Source: WMC Action News 5 Source: WMC Action News 5
MEMPHIS, TN (WMC) -

A tropical wave remains unorganized near Cuba's northern coast and has a moderate chance of development over the next few days, 

The National Hurricane Center (NHC) is giving Invest 99-L a 40% chance of development in 48 hours and 60% chance within the next 5 days. This means that there is a moderate chance for this system to become a named tropical storm, which would be Hermine. 

Although the warm waters in the Gulf of Mexico are conducive for tropical development, the wind flow (called wind shear) is not ideal for tropical systems. At this point, it looks like this system may have a hard time strengthening over the next few days, 

However, wind shear will be more favorable next week and current weather models are causing even more uncertainty of Invest 99-L's future. One thing is for sure, though. Rain soaked areas along the Gulf Coast should watch this system closely for the threat of flash flooding next week. Several models are hinting for this system to move along the west coast of Florida and then push east. This system is not expected to have an impact on the Mid-South, but the First Alert Weather team will continue to monitor it next week. 

Copyright 2016 WMC Action News 5. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly