Remains of Korean War veteran arrive home in Cullman - WMC Action News 5 - Memphis, Tennessee


Biker Dad: Bikers escort remains of soldier killed in Korea home after 66 years

Source: WBRC Source: WBRC
Cpl. Larry Dunn will be buried in Cullman. (Source: Cullman Heritage Funeral Home) Cpl. Larry Dunn will be buried in Cullman. (Source: Cullman Heritage Funeral Home)
Cullman, AL (WMC) -

People lined the streets with flags, some motorists pulled over and offered a salute while others placed their hand over their heart as a native son was returned home to Cullman 66 years after he went off to the Korean War.

Cpl. Larry Dunn, who was listed as MIA near the end of 1950, was positively identified in July and returned home with military honors Wednesday morning. Many lined the streets as The Combat Veterans Motorcycle Association welcomed Dunn home with a motorcade from the Huntsville airport to his hometown of Cullman.

“Coming down the road, you just teared up,” his nephew Ronald Dunn said.

The military returned Cpl. Dunn to Alabama soil when a 737 transporting his remains landed in Huntsville. The Army band and dignitaries took part in a ceremony at the airport. From there, Cpl. Dunn’s casket was loaded in a hearse and taken to Cullman with a lengthy escort that included state troopers, Cullman law enforcement and a veterans motorcycle escort.

“No man left behind,” said Joe Alverson of the Alabama Sons of Liberty. “It took us 66 years, but this man is not left behind.’

Strangers who paid silent tribute outside the Cullman County Courthouse wiped tears from their eyes as the procession passed.

“He’s come home. He fought for us. For you, for me,” said Denise Marchman Tuggle.

Dunn will lie in state through Friday at the Cullman Heritage Funeral Home. His flag-draped coffin is flanked by letters written by his father and photos with his brothers and the 2nd Engineer Combat Battalion B Company 1 BN Infantry Division. He will be buried nearby in the same cemetery where his parents, grandparents and brothers are buried.

“I wish my dad and his brothers, my grandpa, were alive to see the spectacle, the reverence, the respect that happened here today,” Dunn’s nephew said.

Nieces and nephews who never really knew their uncle recalled stories about him during their childhood and the heartbreak their grandfather lived with as he always searched for details on what had happened to his youngest son.

Cpl. Dunn was 17 years old when he joined the Army and went to Korea. He was listed as Missing in Action by the end of 1950. The military later listed him as presumed dead in 1953.

His family was told he had died as a Prisoner of War. His remains were moved to the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific where many unidentified soldiers were interred.

Through continued efforts by the military, Corporal Dunn was positively identified through chest X-rays and dental records.

Please be careful out there, and follow me on social media:

Chris Best is the Assistant News Director for WMC Action News 5. He's a husband and father of four. He's also a motorcycle enthusiast.

Copyright 2016 WMC Action News 5. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly