Fire at NexAir ends safely - WMC Action News 5 - Memphis, Tennessee

Fire at NexAir ends safely

(Source: WMC Action News 5) (Source: WMC Action News 5)
MEMPHIS, TN (WMC) -

According to a spokesperson for NexAir, a fire at the gas and welding company in the 1200 block of North McLean Boulevard, ended safely Sunday night.

Those nearby first thought the fire was an explosion, but according to spokesperson Patrick Galphin, there was no explosion. Galphin said there was only a fire in a single cylinder which contained gas.

"This is a cylinder that holds approximately 100 cubic feet of acetylene gas. Acetylene gas is used for cutting of steel and welding," Galphin said.

He said it caught on fire while being moved by a forklift. Galphin also said no one was injured and there was no damage to the property or the building.

"The NexAir employees and the Memphis Fire Department responded immediately and contained the fire to that single cylinder. Due to the nature of our business, safety is a primary concern of ours. So we respond fully anytime there is any type of an incident," Galphin said.

NexAir provides gases and welding equipment across the entire Southeast.

Copyright 2016 WMC Action News 5. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly