Cigarette ignites house fire; man rushed to hospital - WMC Action News 5 - Memphis, Tennessee

Cigarette ignites house fire; man rushed to hospital

(Source: WMC Action News 5) (Source: WMC Action News 5)
MEMPHIS, TN (WMC) -

A man is fighting for his life after he was trapped inside a burning home Wednesday morning.

Emergency crews rushed to the scene on McCool Avenue near Cherokee Park.

Firefighters were able to rescue the man from the basement of the home, but he was taken to the hospital for smoke inhalation and burns to his face. He is currently in critical condition.

However, it's not the first time in recent weeks that neighbors have seen fire trucks on their street. One neighbor said their house caught fire just a week ago. Firefighters believe this fire was the cause of an arsonist.

"It was shocking because my family was there," the neighbor said. "My kids was in the house. I was in the house. And now, to see that another house, you know, a house over from me was on fire again in the wee hours of the night--it's just shocking."

However, crews said Wednesday’s fire was accidental—set by smoking in the basement.

Four adults and six children live at the home. They are being assisted by Red Cross.

“It's scary, because I can't even sleep and this was just last week that my house was on fire,” the neighbor said.

Copyright 2016 WMC Action News 5. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly