Deputies save paralyzed man by staying inside burning home with - WMC Action News 5 - Memphis, Tennessee

Deputies save paralyzed man by staying inside burning home with him

(Source: Chopper 5) (Source: Chopper 5)
(Source: Chopper 5) (Source: Chopper 5)
MEMPHIS, TN (WMC) -

Deputies helped rescue four people from a burning house in Shelby County.

The grease fire sparked Tuesday afternoon on Gardendale Street.

Deputies arrived and quickly got three people out of the home safely. A fourth person, who is paralyzed from the waist down, was unable to get out, so two deputies remained inside the home with him. As smoke filled the room, those deputies refused to leave the man's side.

"We weren't going to just stand outside and let him stay inside that house while it was burning," deputy Daniel Wilson said. "We weren't able to lift him so we stayed with him inside the house until the fire department came."

Despite pleas from the man for the two deputies to leave him behind, both deputies stayed inside the fiery home until fire fighters arrived with tools to save him. 

Still, the deputies refuse to call themselves heroes.

"I am not a hero, OK. I am just doing my job, and I am glad that everybody was safe," Deputy Crystal Davis said.

Everyone who was inside the house was treated for smoke inhalation. 

Copyright 2016 WMC Action News 5. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly