MEMPHIS, TN (WMC) - A Memphis firefighter was treated for exhaustion and a woman was injured after firefighters battled flames at an apartment complex.
The fire happened in the 100 block of Hillview Avenue in the Valley Forge Apartments just before 1 a.m. Saturday.
Michael Gray said he saw the smoke and knew he had to do something to help the people inside.
"I looked and I went around that corner right there, and I look and ran up stairs and knocked on them doors," Gray said. "I'm glad nobody was hurt."
A firefighter was treated on the scene for exhaustion. A woman was treated on the scene after she was cut on her leg.
MFD said the apartment did have a working smoke detector. Eight apartment units received smoke, fire and water damage.
The cause of the fire was the result of a burning incense left unattended in the bedroom, according to MFD.