Police given wrong address an hour before man sets himself on fire

Police given wrong address an hour before man sets himself on fire

MEMPHIS, TN (WMC) - The man who lit himself on fire on Facebook Live had a restraining order filed against him just hours before he killed himself.

Investigators said Jared McLemore poured gas on himself before lighting a fire and running inside Murphy's in Midtown.

McLemore had a history of domestic violence against his ex-girlfriend. Her family said she filed a restraining order against him the same day he killed himself.

"He came in and grabbed her," the woman's sister, Sara Moore, said. " Then [McLemore] went across the street and doused himself with more accelerant and lit himself on fire."

Video then shows a ball of fire run into Murphy's where McLemore's ex-girlfriend was working.

McLemore's family said he suffered for years from bipolar disorder and was in active treatment.

Court documents show McLemore had a history of domestic violence with his ex-girlfriend.

Court documents show in August 2016, McLemore accused his then girlfriend of flirting with her co-workers. He allegedly got a knife, pointed it toward her and threatened to kill her. The next day, as Mclemore's girlfriend was visiting her mother, McLemore stood on the sidewalk and yelled "I'm going to kill you." On a third occasion, court records report McLemore acted erratically and ended up driving off in his girlfriend's car. McLemore was sentenced to probation.

Family members said McLemore's ex-girlfriend is grieving for him.

"She did love Jared at one point, so she is grieving for him," Moore said.

Moore said her sister Alyssa broke up with McLemore in August last year after she called the police because of alleged abuse from him. McLemore was put on five years probation in April. But then, Moore said McLemore showed up in her sister's life last Wednesday at the apartment the sisters share.

"Came up to her window threatening to kill her with a gun, threatening to kill her with a knife," Moore said.

Police came over and took a report, but McLemore had already left. Moore's friends posted on social media that police didn't respond when called on Friday before the fire. But, in a statement from MPD, police said "officers responded to a complaint call approximately an hour prior to a fire call. Caller advised that they were concerned about the victim's well-being and that victim was in the area of East Parkway and Poplar."

Police searched for the victim and even detained one man for an hour before realizing he was the wrong person. Police had been given the wrong address.

"I wish there were more steps that we could take to protect survivors of domestic abuse," Moore said.

Domestic violence experts said if you're in an abusive relationship, get out as soon as possible.

"We want to encourage victims that it's not your fault what that victim chooses to do to themselves," domestic violence expert Mia Harvey said.

Veronique Black with the National Alliance on Mental Illness said mentally ill people frequently do not look at their illness realistically and don't take their medications.

"It's a very, very big problem. Either the person feels like I'm OK now, I don't need it anymore, side effects can be harsh," Black said.

The family released the following statement:

I am relieved to respond to the outpour of support, hope, and love that I've been given.

To learn more about abuse, visit The National Domestic Violence Hotline's website. Also, you can call the Family Safety Center Memphis for help at 901-222-4400.

For more domestic violence resources in the Mid-South, click here.

Copyright 2017 WMC Action News 5. All rights reserved.