MEMPHIS, TN (WMC) - National Civil Right Museum plans to host a Drop the Mic Poetry Symposium on Friday, August 18 from 3-8 p.m.
The poetry symposium will cover every aspect of the spoken-word from inspiration and writing to performance and evaluation.
It will feature a master class with Ed Mabrey, who is a four-time Individual World Poetry Slam champion.
The schedule for the event will be as follows:
- 2 – 3 p.m. Registration
- 2 – 8 p.m. Activist Marketplace
- 3 – 3:25 pm Welcome and Opening Plenary–MasterClass with Ed Mabrey
- 5-minute Transition
- 3:30 – 4:30 p.m. SESSION 1 Concurrent Workshops (3)
- Activism Track – When Art Becomes Activism with Jasmine Mans
- Youth Voice Track – The Bridge Between Organizing & The Word with
- Mackenzie Berry
- Business Track – Poetry Is None of Your Business by Sebastian Carson
- 15-minute Transition
- 4:45 – 5:45 p.m. SESSION 2 Concurrent Workshops (3)
- Activism Track – Art as Activism with Natasha Hooper
- Youth Voice Track – The Calm Before the Storm with
- Jonathan Samuel Eddie Perkins
- Technique Track – Performance & Writing with Bethsheba Rem a.k.a. "Queen Sheba"
- 15 min Transition
- 6 – 7 p.m. Dinner and Plenary Keynote with Propaganda
- 7:10 – 8 p.m. Closing Performance & Open Mic for facilitators and workshop attendees