Husband and wife die from carbon monoxide poisoning - WMC Action News 5 - Memphis, Tennessee

Husband and wife die from carbon monoxide poisoning

MEMPHIS, Tenn. (AP) - Memphis police say two people believed to be husband and wife died from carbon monoxide poisoning while polishing the floor of a business with a propane-powered buffer.

Officers patrolling a Cordova business park around 2 a-m this morning found the man slumped in a corner on the floor of La Petite Academy day care center. The woman was found in a chair behind the front desk of the center.

The victims were contractors polishing the floor at the time they were overcome. The buffer was still running when police got inside the building, said homicide Lt. Joseph Scott.

Police did not disclose the name of the victims or their company.

Memphis firefighters tested where the victims were found and discovered carbon monoxide levels three times higher than what is considered safe, Scott said.

The Shelby County Medical Examiner is set to determine the precise cause of the victims' deaths.

(Copyright 2005 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Powered by Frankly