Decision keeps students in place until 2013 - WMC Action News 5 - Memphis, Tennessee

Decision keeps students in place until 2013

Thursday afternoon a local judge accepted an amendment to the city of Memphis annexation plan.  The amendment means 155 students from the Southwind/Windyke area of Shelby county who were going to be switched to Memphis City Schools because of annexation will now remain in the county school system until the year 2013.

Previously the County School Board said they legally could not continue to educate students who no longer technically live in the district.

But late Thursday, a judge accepted an amendment that will allow these students to continue their education at Germantown Middle and High schools. It's a resolution parents were hoping for ,and the reason they showed up in force today at the Shelby County School board.

The fists weren't flying, but there was a lot of finger-pointing! Frustrated parents took on Shelby County School board members, demanding answers about a last-minute announcement that their kids would become part of the City School System July 1.

"The whole things is just frustrating," said parent LaTonya Raiford. "The timing and how it was done, and how we're being treated right now, and everybody is passing on responsibility."

Before parents confronted the County School board, the county let loose on the City School Board, saying all of this could have been avoided if the city had fought for a state law that would have frozen school district boundaries and protected schools from annexation.

"I think it's the worst secret in town," said County School Board President David Pickler. "Everybody knows that we have issues with the City School Board, and their keeping up with the contract provisions they agreed to."

"They choose to play political football with it, and then scapegoat on our backs at the end of the year," said County School Board member Wyatt Bunker. "It's absurd."

Parents say what's absurd is they can't get answers from anyone.

When asked late this afternoon about the decision, Pickler said this is just the City of Memphis cleaning up a mistake they made, and that the county is pleased to continue serving these 155 students.

Memphis City Attorney Sara Hall said the changes were made because it became clear the County School system was not willing to keep the students, despite the annexation.

Powered by Frankly