12-year-old West Virginia girl stung by scorpion at store - WMC Action News 5 - Memphis, Tennessee

12-year-old West Virginia girl stung by scorpion at store

BARBOURSVILLE, W.Va. (AP) - One young shopper at a Wal-Mart in West Virginia had to watch out for more than falling prices.

A 12-year-old girl picking up a seedless watermelon from a bin was stung yesterday by a tan, inch-long scorpion that had apparently stowed away in a shipment from Mexico.

Megan Templeton, of Barboursville, West Virginia, was taken to the hospital as a precaution but later released. Her father, William Templeton, said the pain was a little worse than a bee sting.

He initially didn't believe his daughter when she said she had been stung by a scorpion, but then he saw the critter scurry underneath a box. It was captured by Wal-Mart employees.       Most of the nearly 2,000 kinds of scorpions are not dangerous to humans.

 

(Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press.  All Rights Reserved.)

Powered by Frankly