COPY-Three-year-old dead after weekend house fire

MEMPHIS, TN (WMC-TV) - A three-year-old girl died and a four-year-old was seriously injured after a house fire early Sunday morning in the 100 block of Holland in Memphis.

Memphis Fire Department spokesperson Keith Staples said the fire broke out just before 3:00 a.m. Sunday.  When firefighters arrived at the house, it was fully engulfed in flames.  Crews were able to quickly bring the blaze under control.

Investigators said the fire started when food was left unattended while cooking on a stove.

Friday, Earna Shay Flenorn, the mother of the two victims, described a tragic scene.

"They were saying that Aniya - she was the last person in the house, and that the firefighters went in to rescue her," Flenorn said.  "They were telling me they could not find my baby."

Three-year-old Aniya Clinkscale was found unconscious and taken to Le Bonheur Children's Medical Center, where she later died.  Aniya's sister, four-year-old Orshavion Clinkscale, was also taken to Le Bonheur, suffering from severe smoke inhalation.

Staples said the home did not have a working smoke detector.

No firefighters were injured while battling the blaze, and the other occupants of the home were able to make it out safely.

Click here to send an email to Andrew Douglas.