WHAT TO BUY/NOT TO BUY AT DOLLAR STORES
* CLEANING PRODUCTS. Same ingredients and agents as brand-names, but all $1.
* DISHES/GLASSWARE. Great value and comparable to Wal-Mart's quality.
* GIFT WRAP.
* GREETING CARDS. All $1, compared to the average minimum of $3.50 at grocery and department stores.
* GROOMING TOOLS.
* KITCHEN ACCESSORIES.
* PICTURE FRAMES.
* BABY FOOD. Some baby food at dollar stores come from other countries and have dangerous chemicals.
* BAGGED CANDY. The economy-size bags at Wal-Mart or Target are better values.
* BATTERIES. Again, it's a better value to buy these in bulk at Wal-Mart, Target or the wholesale clubs.
* BOTTLED WATER. Buy bulk at the wholesale clubs instead.
* CHILDREN'S TOYS. Easy to break, with small parts that choke.
* EXTENSION CORDS. Low quality, tend to short out: fire hazard!
* VITAMINS. Some vitamins at dollar stores don't deliver the content that's claimed on the containers.