Restaurants involved in raid remain closed - WMC Action News 5 - Memphis, Tennessee

Reported by Janice Broach

Restaurants involved in raid remain closed

MEMPHIS, TN (WMC-TV) - Two popular Shelby County restaurants remained closed Friday after they were raided as a cross country drug ring was busted up earlier this week. 

Federal agents raided Mandarin Palace in Bartlett and Wasabi on Germantown Road after a grand jury indicted 11 people for conspiracy to distribute more than 100 kilos of marijuana. 

John Queen remembers that Wednesday at Wasabi restaurant.

"When I got here in the morning, there were three government vehicles sitting in front of the building," he said.

Federal agents arrested the owner of Wasabi and an employee.

Friday, Wasabi was still closed, even though the feds didn't seize the property. Madarin Palace in Bartlett was also closed.

Faye Blaylock, who works next door, had no clue what was going on.

"They had seemingly a good restaurant business," Blaylock said. "People were going in and out."

The feds seized money from the restaurants, but no drugs. Those came from individual houses, both in Memphis and California. 

Several of the people indicted in the case have records:

  • Victoria Sanders also known as Tori was arrested and charges with unlawful possession of a weapon.
  • Alexander Cook was arrested and charged with DUI.
  • Feng Liu was indicted in 2003 for possession of a  controlled substance.
  • Dustin Vo was also arrested in 2003 and charged with DUI.

All eleven defendants are scheduled to be in federal court next week, where more of the evidence against them could be released.


Click here to send an email to Janice Broach.

Powered by Frankly