Space heater the likely culprit in Memphis church fire - WMC Action News 5 - Memphis, Tennessee

Space heater the likely culprit in Memphis church fire

MEMPHIS, TN (WMC-TV) - Firefighters believe a space heater likely sparked a fire inside a Memphis church late Saturday morning.

Just after 11:00 a.m. Saturday, firefighters were called to the Common People Temple Church, near Chelsea Avenue and Tully Street.

Investigators said flames quickly spread through the church, but no one was injured.

The pastor of the church had been inside the church just hours before the fire started.  Memphis Fire Department Division Chief Ronald Mitchell said space heaters can be especially dangerous if left unattended.

"We encourage people to try and be as safe as possible," he said.

Though firefighters suspect a space heater was to blame, the official cause of the fire has not been determined.

Powered by Frankly