Lake County family narrowly survives carbon monoxide poisoning - WMC Action News 5 - Memphis, Tennessee

Reported by Nick Kenney

Lake County family narrowly survives carbon monoxide poisoning

LAKE COUNTY, TN (WMC-TV) - A Lake County family survived a close call after they were poisoned by carbon monoxide while inside their house Wednesday.

David Salmon, his wife, children, and grandchildren were all huddled together under one roof, trying to beat the freeze.

Though the ice storm knocked out power across Lake County, the Salmons thought they were in good shape.

"We had DVD players playing with movies...lights in the house, and thought we were living might good," Salmon said.

Such luxuries were possible because of David's brand new generator, which was parked in his backyard.  Because is was outside, Salmon said, he thought it was safe.  Family members soon learned the generator was too close to the house, allowing fumes to enter a crawl space.

Carbon monoxide blew into the home, seeping through vents.

"It made us nauseated and real dizzy-headed," Salmon said. "I could hardly walk."

Lake County sheriff's deputies were able to get everyone - eight people, including one-year-old and a four-month-old baby - to a local hospital.

Salmon said they were all extremely lucky.

"You usually go do sleep," he said of carbon monoxide poisoning.  "You get real sleepy.  You just go to sleep, and that's it."

Somehow, Salmon's family survived, despite the odds.

Salmon said his home did not have a carbon monoxide detector - until today.  As soon as he was released from the hospital, David he one and installed it.


Click here to send an email to Nick Kenney.

Powered by Frankly