Woman, child injured in Tuesday morning fire - WMC Action News 5 - Memphis, Tennessee

Reported by Nick Kenney

Woman, child injured in Tuesday morning fire

MEMPHIS, TN (WMC-TV) - A mother and her son were hospitalized Tuesday narrowly escaping a house fire.  The fire nearly destroyed the house, putting Betty Hargrave on edge. 

Hargrave's daughter Angela was inside the house with her four-year-old grandson, Logan. With heavy smoke filling the house, Angela scooped up her son and escaped.

"I'm very upset and worried," Hargrave said.

Jonathan Jackson watched the drama unfold on the front lawn.

"She was shaking, and the baby seemed like he was breaking kind of funny," he said.

Hargrave said Logan is developmentally disabled.

"It concerns me because he was born very pre-mature," she said. "I'm just hoping his lungs are doing okay."

Firefighters said Logan was suffering from smoke inhalation, and was taken to LeBonheur Children's Medical Center for treatment.  Angela was taken to The MED, while the family's dog did not survive.

Neighbors say they heard Angela say Logan had somehow started the fire, but investigators have not determined was sparked the blaze.

"I'm just thankful they're ok," Hargrave said.

Angela and Logan are both expected to fully recover.


Click here to send an email to Nick Kenney.

Powered by Frankly