6 arrested during protest of officer-involved shooting

Crowds decry Memphis officers who turned off body cams before shooting

6 arrested during protest of officer-involved shooting

MEMPHIS, TN (WMC) - Six people were arrested after protesters gathered outside the Airways Police precinct demanding justice following a Memphis police officer shot a man during a traffic stop.

The protest comes after Director Rallings said the police officer who shot Martavious Banks on Monday night did not activate his body camera.

Police said 30-40 protesters were lying in the middle of the street around 9 p.m. in the area of Elvis Presley Boulevard and Kerr Avenue.

When officers arrived, they saw 50-60 people in the area, with about 20 blocking the road.

After several warnings to get out of the road, police said they took six people into custody.

Heather Jendoubi, Theryn Bond, Terri Conley, Barbara Buress, Edward Demster, and Patrick Ghant were all arrest. They’re all charged with disorderly conduct and obstructing a road. All but Bond are also charged with inciting a riot.

Buress is also charged with assault and evading arrest. Police said they chased Buress and when she was being taken into custody, she kicked an officer in the face.

(Top L-R): Jendoubi, Bond, Conley. (Bottom L-R): Buress, Demster, Ghant.
(Top L-R): Jendoubi, Bond, Conley. (Bottom L-R): Buress, Demster, Ghant. (Source: SCSO)

The relationship between citizens and police officers have become contentious after Director Rallings announced he wasn’t confident protocol was followed.

There was no body cam or dash cam video of the shooting.

"It’s very clear (that) it’s malicious intent due to the premeditation action of them deactivating the camera,” said protester Theryn C. Bond.

District Attorney General Amy Weirich made the decision with Rallings on Tuesday to call in the Tennessee Bureau of Investigations to look into the case.

"I think what it does is give the public a sense that independent eyes are looking at this matter that's important when we're talking about officer-involved shootings,” Weirich said.

Weirich said the TBI investigation can take anywhere from two weeks to two months.

However, a TBI investigation did not satisfy this crowd.

"I’m not satisfied with police investigating police,” said protester Kermit Moore. “I’d like to see our citizens review board being able to do what they are supposed to do instead of being handcuffed and pushed to the side.”

Copyright 2018 WMC Action News 5. All rights reserved.