MEMPHIS, TN (WMC) - No matter what Punxsutawney Phil prognosticates on Ground Hog Day, we’re giving a repeat shout-out to five of the Great Things that happened in the Mid-South this week.
- A week after Memphis was named the 2019′s Best Destination Overall by TripSavvy, the Travel Channel gave the Bluff City another title: “Hottest Southern Destination of 2019.”
- Southland Gaming and Racing announced free dealer classes for anyone 21 and older. You have until February 8 to apply.
- Grizzlies forward Jaren Jackson, Jr. was selected to play for Team USA in the 2019 MTN DEW ICE Rising Stars Game in Charlotte, NC.
- Thomas Dinson of Cherokee Elementary, Alisha Clark of Crump Elementary and Mary Mcintosh of Central High School were the three Shelby County teachers awarded as Tennessee Teacher of the Year District Finalists. They’re eligible for the regional and then, perhaps, the statewide nominations in May.
- Thirteen LEGO brick sculptures of endangered species are now on exhibit at the Memphis Zoo at no extra cost, other than your zoo admission.