MEMPHIS, TN (WMC) - A man accused of shooting at a tractor trailer on I-240 last year won’t have to serve any time in jail after a judge granted diversion in the case Thursday.
Montero Evans was initially arrested on a charge of aggravated assault after the truck driver said a Chevy Tahoe pulled alongside his rig December 5.
The truck driver said the man in the SUV rolled down his window and fired several shots near the Airways Boulevard exit.
No one was struck, but the truck driver gave the SUV’s tag number to police, who traced it back to Evans.
Evans gave a statement and admitted to getting into an argument with the truck driver before the shooting, according to a police affidavit.
The case was downgraded to a charge of reckless endangerment – a misdemeanor – during court appearances in January.
Prosecutors agreed to the lower charge after determining Evans had a good work history, no criminal record involving violence, and admitted to his actions, according to Larry Buser with the Shelby County District Attorney’s Office.
Evans will be placed on diversion until February of 2020, meaning the charges could be brought back if he is arrested again.
He was also ordered to pay $392 in court fees.