MEMPHIS, TN (WMC) - The family of Darrius Stewart, the 19-year-old killed by Memphis police during a traffic stop in 2015, spoke at a news conference in front of city hall Monday.
It comes after a federal lawsuit the family filed against the City of Memphis and the police officer who killed Stewart was called off.
According to police, Stewart resisted as Schilling attempted to take him into custody for outstanding juvenile warrants.
It was during that struggle Stewart was killed. Video captured the struggle, but not the shooting.
In January, a U.S. District judge dismissed the City of Memphis from the lawsuit, saying there was not enough evidence to suggest the city caused Stewart’s death.
The attorney representing Stewart’s father believes the city should be named in the lawsuit, because the city provided the resources, training, equipment for the officer.
“The city gave Connor Schilling the power to as he did,” said attorney Carlos Moore. “They provided him with the gun and a badge. The city not given schilling the equipment and trained him properly he would have done what he did.”
“I’m here trying to get justice for my son, he didn’t die for nothing,” said Stewart’s father Henry Williams.
Monday was supposed to be the day the civil trial started against former MPD officer Connor Schilling, but that trial was called off at the request of the Stewart family.
Earlier this month, a federal judge followed the family's wishes and dismissed Schilling from the suit.
The family made that request in response to the court dismissing the City of Memphis as a co-defendant in January.
The family is appealing that decision and their attorney said once that’s resolved, they hope to re-file the suit so that both Schilling and the city can be put on trial together.
That way, the family doesn’t have to go through the process twice, reliving the day of his death twice in court.