MEMPHIS, TN (WMC) - The Memphis chapter of the National Football Foundation and College Hall of Fame honored 11 high school seniors and two college seniors from the University of Memphis and Rhodes at its annual Black Tie Dinner on the Rhodes College Campus on Monday night.
The honorees, recognized as being the best of the best at their respective schools, are given scholarships based on athletics, academics, and community service.
Tyler Hunter, a linebacker/fullback from Whitehaven High who’s heading to Morehouse, was among those honored.
“I come from a family of teachers. Education very important in our household," Hunter said. “I attack my studies hard--same way I do in athletics. I study film and take that to the field, the same way i take my hard work in studying to taking tests.”
”It’s good to see how my studies paid off," MUS quarterback Sellers Shy said. “I worked hard and to see the smiles on my parents and friends when i walk up and get this trophy. It’s great in my mind.”
Shy will continue his athletic and academic career at Ole Miss.
The full list is the list of Scholar Athletes honored for 2019 includes:
- Nick Anewalt Houston H.S.
- Addison Coleman Trinity Christian Academy (Jackson, TN)
- Tyler Hunter Whitehaven H.S.
- Brock Lomax Covington H.S.
- Gavin Olson Harding Academy
- Sellers Shy Memphis University School
- Rahnman Slocum III Southwind H.S.
- Yuseff Thomas Lausanne Collegiate School
- Jackson Walker Briarcrest Christian School
- Caleb Waller Manassas H.S.
- Marshall Ware Germantown H.S.
- Drew Kyser Memphis
- P.J. Sellers Rhodes College