MFD evacuates Service Master HQ due to fire at Texas De Brazil

MFD evacuates Service Master HQ

MEMPHIS, Tenn. (WMC) - Service Master Headquarters was evacuated by Memphis Fire Department Thursday due to a fire downtown.

According to a Service Master spokesperson, the fire occurred at Texas De Brazil.

Smoke forces downtown evacuations

However, all Service Master employees were evacuated as MFD crews cleared out the vents.

A video, shared with us from a witness, shows the smoke billowing out onto Second Street.

MFD says the fire started in the kitchen of the restaurant and was confined to the ventilation system

It could be seen from all over Downtown Memphis.

"We was at the peabody watching for the ducks and he came through and said everybody evacuate right now. So we took off running and when we got out here we seen the smoke,” said Sharon Taylor, visitor.

No injuries were reported.

The origin and cause of the fire was determined to be the result of grease build-up in the duct work of the vent-a-hood system.

The fire was confined to the ventilation system.

Copyright 2019 WMC. All rights reserved.