Memphis house fire blamed on overheated cellphone

House fire blamed on overheated cellphone

MEMPHIS, Tenn. (WMC) - Investigators say an overheated cellphone caused a Memphis house fire earlier this week.

Firefighters say the phone overheated in a bedroom while charging, starting the fire on Oberle Avenue just off North Watkins.

It happened around 11:20 a.m. Wednesday. Firefighters arrived to find heavy fire .

No one was hurt but the fire caused $55,000 worth of damage.

Fire investigators say the home did not have a working smoke alarm.

Copyright 2019 WMC. All rights reserved.