‘Organized chaos’: 1 week after Southaven Walmart shooting

Walmart employees from across the region help clean Southaven location

MEMPHIS, Tenn. (WMC) - After a shooting at the Southaven Walmart left two employees dead and an officer and the suspect injured, the store remains closed a week later.

But that doesn't mean there isn't activity at the superstore.

“It’s organized chaos trying to get it back together,” said Walmart employee Michael Deleonard.

A Walmart representative told WMC Action News 5 the store is closed indefinitely as they clean up from the shooting and fire damage set during the incident.

Southaven Walmart closed indefinitely after shooting

They also said all employees at the Southaven location are getting a paycheck. They're working at the store cleaning up, temporarily at another Walmart location or using paid time off.

Michael Deleonard works at the Walmart in Clarskville, Tennessee. He came to help out.

“It was a chance to help somebody else out,” Deleonard said. “It’s a chance to get away from my normal routine. It wasn’t that big of a sacrifice, it’s just the drive in and what amounts to a normal work day.”

He says he’s not the only one.

“From inside the company you wouldn't believe from other markets and regions and stores how much support is actually coming in for something like this,” Deleonard said.

A wreath near the edge parking lot has two banners honoring the two Walmart store managers who died.

Forty-year-old Anthony Brown was the father of two boys, and 38-year-old Brandon Gales’ family says he worked his way from stocking shelves to a recent promotion to department manager. Gales left behind three children.

Brandon Gales and Anthony Brown were the casualties of the July 30 Walmart shooting in Southaven.
Brandon Gales and Anthony Brown were the casualties of the July 30 Walmart shooting in Southaven.

DeLeonard say many employees are still grieving.

“You deal with this at your own pace,” Deleonard said. “There’s no too fast, too slow, you just move and pick up the pieces.”

The suspect injured in this shooting, Martez Abram, is still recovering in the hospital

Abram was scheduled to make a court appearance this morning, but that was rescheduled to Friday.

Doctors say his current health condition prohibited him from appearing Friday morning.

Copyright 2019 WMC. All rights reserved.