MEMPHIS, Tenn. (WMC) - The Memphis Fire Department went door to door handing out smoke alarms in a neighborhood on Tuesday after a man died in a house fire on Monday.
Investigators say the 67-year-old was found inside a home on Alameda Avenue after the fire was put out. The fire department canvassed the neighborhood near Springdale Street.
“Be mindful of your cords, overloading outlets, all these things. These things are simple things we can be mindful of. Taking those small steps is something can help ensure some safety for you and your family,” said MFD Division Chief Markus Smith.
MFD suggests changing your smoke detector batteries twice a year--when you chance your clock in the spring and again in the fall.