Hearing reset for husband charged with missing Cordova woman’s murder

Hearing reset for husband charged in murder of missing Cordova woman

MEMPHIS, Tenn. (WMC) - As the case moves forward against a Cordova man charged in the death of his wife, he is gearing up for a legal battle.

A grand jury indicted 43-year-old Carl Hayes earlier this month, several months after his wife, Taquila Hayes, went missing.

Carl Hayes was expected to appear in court Tuesday morning to formally hear the charges against him, but his case was reset at the last-minute.

Husband accused of killing missing Cordova wife expected to appear in court

Shelby County assistant district attorney Paul Hagerman said Hayes' arraignment was rescheduled because he's in the process of hiring a defense attorney.

"Sometimes you get stuff done in court, sometimes you don't and next time we'll be coming back and hopefully he'll have an attorney by then," said Hagerman.

Husband indicted in connection to missing Cordova mother Taquila Hayes

Roberta Nutall, says she and her daughter were supposed to go to the Beale Street Music Festival in May.

She became suspicious when she got a text she believes came from Carl Hayes.

"I got a text saying she had to work. She wouldn't have never canceled with me," said Nutall.

Detectives say Carl Hayes told them his wife quit her job and took off with an unknown friend that summer.

Sheriff’s employees searched the woods near the couple’s home but never found a body.

Search continues for Taquila Hayes

Earlier this month, the grand jury indicted Carl Hayes on charges of second-degree murder and tampering with and fabricating evidence.

Hagerman declined to talk about specifics of the investigation, including the challenges moving forward on a murder charge without a body.

"This is the very first court date and we've got to let the process play out," said Hagerman. "The case has obviously been documented and covered in the media. Tragic situation, so hard on the family and on the son."

Carl Hayes remains in jail on a $2 million bond.

His arraignment has been reset for March 17.

Copyright 2020 WMC. All rights reserved.