Arkansas identifies 197 cases of COVID-19 as officials work to provide protective equipment

Arkansas Gov. Asa Hutchinson gives coronavirus update

MEMPHIS, Tenn. (WMC) - Arkansas Governor Asa Hutchinson says Arkansas now has 197 confirmed cases of the novel coronavirus.

As the state works to respond to the current crisis, officials are looking for ways to provide more personal protective equipment statewide. Hutchinson says $3 million has been allocated for the procurement of the supplies.

Stats provided by Arkansas Health Secretary Dr. Nate Smith:

  • 5 individuals have recovered
  • the virus has been contracted by 10 children, 63 adults (ages 65 years and older) and 101 younger adults (age 19 to 54)
  • 9 patients have been hospitalized
  • 6 on a ventilator

Smith says there has been testing at three nursing homes in Arkansas where the state previously confirmed multiple cases. The recent tests of the residents and staff have come back negative.

Current as of 9:43 a.m. March 23, 2020.
Current as of 9:43 a.m. March 23, 2020. (Source: Arkansas Dept. of Health)

Hutchison has also planned a special session for the state’s general assembly to meet regarding the state’s budget. Officials are expecting a $160 million reduction in state revenue due to the COVID-19 crisis.

No layoffs have been planned at this time.

Individuals in Arkansas are now able to file their taxes at a later date, extending the deadline to July 15. The corporate tax return date will remain the same according to Hutchinson.

Copyright 2020 WMC. All rights reserved.