Teen shot by US marshals charged with aggravated assault, gun possession

17-year-old arrested, charged following officer-involved shooting

MEMPHIS, Tenn. (WMC) - The Tennessee Bureau of Investigation says a teenager who was shot Tuesday by a U.S. marshals task force is facing charges for aggravated assault and gun possession.

According to the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation, the U.S. Marshals Gulf Coast Regional Fugitive Task Force spotted a car they believed was connected to a murder suspect, and after surrounding the vehicle their own, investigators the 17-year-old driver began ramming their cars.

TBI says a marshal shot at the teen’s car -- later determined to be stolen -- and the teen took off running. He was arrested across the street and taken to the hospital.

Investigators haven’t identified the teen or the murder suspect they were initially after. The teen went to the hospital with a gunshot wound to the arm.

TBI confirms man shot by US Marshals was not the suspect they were after

TBI says the teen was released Wednesday and taken to juvenile detention in Shelby County.

Eric Bland who lives and works in the same South Memphis community where the teenager was shot by officers, came out to watch the dozens of protesters in his neighborhood.

”They treat us like animals out here. They hunted him down like a little dog and he wasn’t even the right person,” said Bland.

About 40 people came out to demonstrate at the same MAPCO gas station on Elvis Presley Boulevard where the day before a 17-year-old was shot by a U.S. marshal.

The teen involved was identified by his mother as Darshun Holliday.

The Tennessee Bureau of Investigation says the shooting happened after officers spotted the vehicle they thought was associated with a murder suspect they were looking for.

Officers surrounded the vehicle and the driver began to ram the vehicles around him.

At that point, the U.S. Marshal fired the shot, but turns out Holliday was not the murder suspect they were looking for.

Holliday was shot in the arm sustaining non-life threatening injuries.

“We’ve seen slayings of Breonna Taylor, George Floyd, Ahmaud Arbery and you know Darshun made it, you know he is an anomaly right now in this country,” said protester Theryn Bond.

Bond presented a list of demands compiled by a group of community leaders and Darshun Holliday’s mother in light of Tuesday’s incidents.

The demands include telling Mayor Strickland to end Operation Legend. Operation Legend is a federal program that has brought federal agents in the city to help curb violent crime.

Protesters want to defund police or reallocate funds to other community programs and they want the name of the officer that fired the shot Tuesday.

”We deserve to know who shot him. We deserve to know if that person is still walking out here amongst us and if we could be next,” said Bond.

The U.S. Marshall Gulf Coast Regional Fugitive Task Force says they will not release the officer’s name until after the investigation is complete.

As for Holliday, he has been transferred from Regional One to the Juvenile Detention Center.

TBI says a loaded handgun was found inside the stolen vehicle Holliday was driving.

The teen has been charged with six counts of aggravated assault, one county of unlawful possession of a firearm, one county of theft and one count of vandalism.

RELATED: WMC Action News 5 spoke with Shanta Holliday who says her son, 17-year-old Darshun Holliday, was shot by marshals in a case of mistaken identity. This is what she had to say about the shooting.

Copyright 2020 WMC. All rights reserved.