MEMPHIS, Tenn. (WMC) - An explosion at a North Memphis home late Thursday night sent seven people to the hospital with severe injuries.
It happened around 10:30 p.m. at a home near Britton and Stovall.
A spokesman for the fire department says the explosion was caused by a natural gas leak at the water heater inside the home.
When firefighters arrived, all seven people inside had already made it to safety, but they all had second- and third-degree burns over 70 to 80 percent of their bodies.
Four adults in their 30s went to Regional One Burn Unit and three children ages 4, 10 and 13 went to Le Bonheur Children’s Hospital.
Lieutenant Wayne Cook with the Memphis Fire Department says the house did not have a working smoke alarm.