Mid-South law enforcement agencies using Inclement Weather Crash Policies
MEMPHIS, Tenn. (WMC) - Multiple law enforcement agencies are is enforcing their Inclement Weather Policy for accidents.
Memphis Police Department shared these steps you should follow if there is only minor damage and no injures or alcohol involved.
- Drivers should exchange names, addresses, phone numbers, insurance information, and tag numbers of the vehicles involved
- Take photograph(s) of the damage and tag number of vehicles involved
- Both drivers should call the nearest Memphis Police Station or the Memphis Police Traffic Office to report the accident. This should be done within five working days
- An officer or PST will complete a crash report or a “Non-Investigated Crash Report” (NIR)
The same guidelines go for Shelby County, however, both drivers must arrange a time to meet at the sheriff’s office substation, located at 11670 Memphis-Arlington Rd., Arlington. 901-222-5859.
Drivers should bring with them their vehicle, driver’s license, registration paperwork for that vehicle, & proof of insurance to the Sheriff’s Office.
You should also file the crash report within ten working days of the crash if you are in Shelby County. And if you have any questions as to whether or not the crash meets the criteria in Shelby County, please contact the non-emergency number, 901-379-7625.
This policy will be implemented in Memphis and Shelby County until further notice.
Over in Mississippi, the Southaven Police Department says their policy is also in effect.
- Applies to motor vehicle crashes involving minor damage and no physical injuries
- Drivers should exchange information such as: names, addresses, phone numbers, tag numbers and insurance information
- Photograph damage to vehicles and tag numbers
- Report the crash to SPD within five business days, in person at 8691 Northwest Drive, or online at https://southaven.org/720/Online-Police-Self-Reporting-Form
Copyright 2021 WMC. All rights reserved.