Nick is a native of Florence, Alabama but has called many other places besides the Tennessee Valley home. He has also lived in the West Texas town of El Paso and in the Arkansas Delta Town of Marion. Living in these three cities, each with very different climatic conditions, steered him in the direction of meteorology.
Nick graduated from Marion High School in 2010 (Go Patriots!). After high school, he moved to Starkville, Mississippi and spent four years at Mississippi State University where he graduated Cum Laude with a bachelor’s degree in geosciences, majoring in broadcast meteorology and minoring in communication. While at Mississippi State, he was an active member of the East Mississippi Chapter of the NWA/AMS.
Nick got his start working at WTVA-TV in Tupelo, Mississippi during his senior year at Mississippi State. During his time in North Mississippi he kept viewers safe during the tornado outbreak in April 2014. After he graduated from MSU, he landed his next job at WTOK-TV in Meridian, Mississippi where for three years he was the morning meteorologist and reporter. While in Meridian, he helped forecast several tornado outbreaks, including the Collinsville tornado of February 2016, along with active tropical seasons and even winter weather in the south. His time at both WTVA and WTOK gave him valuable experience in how to not only track severe storms but how to deliver a accurate forecast that is easy to understand. Nick is excited to continue his career at the station that ultimately made him become a meteorologist, WMC Action News 5!
When not forecasting the weather for the Mid-South, Nick enjoys spending time with his family and friends, cheering for his Mississippi State Bulldogs and Auburn Tigers. Nick also enjoys traveling to new places across the country. He also enjoys searching out and finding new restaurants. Nick is happy to call the Mid-South home again!
Meteorologist Nick Gunter can be seen on WMC Action News 5 weekend mornings.
When talking about the mugginess of the air, meteorologist almost always point to the dewpoint rather than the relative humidity, but why is that? In this episode of The Breakdown, we explain why dewpoint matters more than relative humidity when describing how hot it feels outside on a given day.
Summer officially starts Saturday and with the increase and heat and humidity it will feel like it outside. To go along with the hot and humidity conditions, there are increased chances for rain and storms.
We have all been there, climbing inside a car on a hot summer day. The temperature feels excessively hotter inside the vehicle than it does on the outside. Why is it? What causes the temperature to climb so high inside a vehicle?
Both Colorado State University ant the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration have predicted an ‘above average’ year for tropical systems in the Atlantic Ocean, but why is this expected to be one of the most active years in recent memory?
The newest NHC path shows Cristobal weakening to a topical depression as it moves up the state of Louisiana and then into Arkansas. This track pushes it close enough to the Mid-South that we will could potentially have impacts from this system.
The First Alert Weather team is tracking a complex system of showers and storms north of the Mid-South that is expected to roll into the region this afternoon and evening and provide strong to severe storms across parts of the area.
NOAA explains that the 2020 Atlantic Hurricane season, there is a 60% chance of an above-average season, a 30% chance of a near-normal season and a 10% chance of ra below-normal season. The next update to the predictions from NOAA will come in early August.