Family members mourn loss of Memphis man killed by Southaven police

Published: Oct. 18, 2014 at 8:01 PM CDT|Updated: Oct. 20, 2014 at 9:58 AM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn
The suspect was taken to the hospital, where he later died. (Photo Source: WMC Action News 5)
The suspect was taken to the hospital, where he later died. (Photo Source: WMC Action News 5)

SOUTHAVEN, MS (WMC) - Family members are mourning Sunday night after Southaven, Mississippi deputies shot and killed a Memphis man.

Officially, the Mississippi Bureau of Investigation has not released the name of the suspect who was shot and killed Saturday, but family members tell WMC Action News 5 that it was 38-year-old Tim Rook from the Nutbush neighborhood in Memphis.

Frank Stiles and his family are still trying to process what happened Saturday afternoon on Hillbrook Drive in Southaven.

"We got a phone call from his mom, that's how we found out. Then we turned the TV on," said Stiles.

The call originally came in as a burglary. A woman called police after she said Rook, the father of her child, kicked in the door to her home. When police arrived, Rook and another woman jumped into a white car and tried to get away.

When police surrounded the car they took the woman, who was driving, into custody. That's when officials say Rook jumped in the driver's seat.

Police saw a gun and fired.

The WMC Action News 5 Investigators uncovered Rook's violent past. In October of 2012 he was arrested following a shooting on Whitter and Elliot Roads in Nutbush. According to an affidavit, a family was standing outside with a three-month-old when Rook fired one shot at them. No one was hit or injured in the incident, and Rook was charged with reckless endangerment.

Stiles says that's not the kind of man Rook was and regardless of what happened in the past - it won't bring his nephew back.

"He'd do anything for you," noted Stiles. "It's hard to know that my nephew's gone. That's all I'm concerned with. MBI, they'll figure it out and they'll get to the bottom of it."

Rook was taken to the hospital, where he later died. The woman taken into custody was unharmed.

For three hours, investigators took pictures and tagged evidence. More than 20 shell casings scattered the ground.

Southaven Police Chief Tom Long told WMC Action News 5 that while his officers are trained to respond to all kinds of calls, they never hope one ends like this.

"Officers will do that stop right there 1,000 times a year and one out of 1,000 will turn out bad like that, where you actually end up with shots fired, if even that much," said Long.

At this point it's unclear how many officers were involved in the shooting. They will likely be placed on paid leave pending the outcome of the investigation.

Copyright 2014 WMC Action News 5. All rights reserved.