MEMPHIS, TN (WMC) - A popular restaurant, known for its smoking barbecue, was ravaged by smoke of a different kind when it caught fire on Thursday.
The fire was reported at Cozy Corner BBQ, located on North Parkway, just before 1:30 p.m. It took fire crews about 30 minutes to put it out.
The owners of the restaurant say the fire was caused by electrical issues.
"It was terrifying because I had staff coming from the kitchen, telling me they were seeing smoke," said the owner's daughter, India Howard. "I didn't know where it was coming from."
The restaurant will be closed for a few days as a result of the fire.
"I was raised in this restaurant," Howard added. "Waiting tables before I could see over the tops of them."
The building is still standing, but damage was done to the back of the building. There is no word yet on how much it will cost to fix. A nearby hair salon and auto-recording studio received smoke damage.