Children help family escape house fire, car explosion

Children help family escape house fire, car explosion

MEMPHIS, TN (WMC) - Two children helped their family escape from a house fire Sunday.

The family's house caught fire at 655 Shellane Avenue. The fire spread through the building quickly.

"This home has been in our family since I was five years old. I'm shocked," family member Sherry Mackey said.

A two year old in the house smelled the fire first. He alerted the family and everyone escaped--or so they thought.

The children's mother, Erica, rushed the family, which included six children and three adults, outside.

That's when 10-year-old Christian Streeter noticed someone was missing.

"She [Erica] got everyone in the car, but I got scared because my grandmother wasn't out of the house. So I tried to run back in the house to get her," Streeter said.

Everyone was able to get out of the house safely.

The fire then spread to a vehicle next to the house, which caught fire and exploded.

After the explosion, a house next door caught fire, burning the attic.

"The fire was so big and bad," said neighbor Vinterius Jeffries. "It looked like a tornado. Exactly like a tornado, just turning, turning, turning."

The fire started at 3:07 p.m. Within 20 minutes, the Memphis Fire Department extinguished it. Investigators said an electrical problem sparked the fire.

Copyright 2015 WMC Action News 5. All rights reserved.