MEMPHIS, TN (WMC) - A football player at East High School had to be taken to the hospital after overheating during practice.
Monday was the first day of practice with full pads this season, and one 14-year-old went down with heat exhaustion.
Shelby County Schools said the player never passed out. He started showing signs of heat exhaustion and coaches decided to err on the side of caution.
"He just got over heated; that's all I can say," said athletic trainer Sherri Bates.
They called paramedics to come treat the boy. They arrived and took him to the hospital.
"From what I saw initially, they were doing contact drills and two students took a knee," said Paul Fischer.
Fischer said he saw what happened on the practice field from his job across the street. He said he frequently works out in the hot sun, and the key is to take frequent breaks and wear proper clothing.
Both Fischer and Bates said one of the best things football players and anyone else can do in these temperatures is stay hydrated and in the shade.
"A lot of these kids, I mean its football season, they're in the camps, a lot of them I'm sure are being told by the coaches drink lots of water. Drink your Gatorade; rest when you can," Fischer said.
The player overcome by heat is expected to be okay. Coaches said they called paramedics as a precaution. His teammates were allowed to go inside the school for a while, and when they came back outside, the coaches made sure there were plenty of things to keep the players cool.
"A chest of ice with some ice towels that will help cool them off; you can put the ice towels on their head and that will help cool them off quick," Bates said.
The Tennessee Secondary School Athletic Association (TSSAA) has a heat policy that keeps teams from practicing when the heat index is too high. However, the team is only prohibited from practicing when the heat index at the practice site registers over 104.