MEMPHIS, TN (WMC) - A 2-year-old boy and a 4-year-old girl died in a house fire in Drummonds, Tennessee, on Wednesday afternoon. A charred trash can, debris scattered everywhere, and tons of damage are all that remains on the scene. The home was 75 percent destroyed.
"It's hard to put in words--two little babies," the children's great uncle, James Russom, said. "The only good conciliation is they're in Heaven with Jesus now having a ball."
Atoka Fire Department Chief Henry Posey said firefighters arrived at the mobile home on Pine Lane 13 minutes after receiving the 911 call. He said the children's mother and grandmother were outside.
The children's mother and father were taken to Regional Medical Center. The children's grandfather was taken to the hospital by helicopter after trying to rescue his grandchildren from the burning home. All of them have since been treated and released from the hospital.
"He's a real hero in my opinion. Even though he didn't get the babies out, there's a real man willing to put his life on the line to go save his own grandkids," Russom said.
Two older children were not home when the fire happened.
Russom said the children were outgoing, smart, and full of energy.
"Just kids you know? Playful, hugging, loving caring kids," Russom said. "When they see me, they always come up and love me."
Fire investigators have not yet determined what sparked the fire. Crime scene tape remains around the home.
"Trailer fires are more difficult because they go up faster," Posey said. "Trailer fires are very hard to fight."
Family members are now trying to cope with the loss of two little ones and their home.
"Just had so much going through my mind. Just trying to fathom how these poor little babies--they died," Russom said.
Family members set up a fund for the children's parents, identified on the fundraising page as Melanie and CJ Sutton.